Mela 4.1 Update — DS Oscillator, 3 new Pitch Processor modules, MIDI CC modulation support, Theme Designer
The Mela 4.1 update brings 4 new modules and user interface enhancements. The new DS Oscillator module employs a distortion synthesis technique for creating a morphable waveform. With its Harmonics parameter, you can control the richness of the sound like a low-pass filter would. The Pitch Processor modules Pitch Bend and Vibrato make it easier to add common synth functionality to your presets, as they avoid the need for multiple modules to achieve the same goal. Of course, for full flexibility, you may still want to use multiple modules to create unique effects. The Pitch Ratio module makes it easy to create integer ratio Pitch signals. This is especially useful for ring and frequency modulation synthesis. The MIDI Source module can now respond to all MIDI CC messages and Release Velocity. With an added parameter that lets you smooth out the discontinuities in the modulation signal generated from the incoming MIDI messages.
Mela’s UI has been simplified by merging the sidebar functionality into the toolbar and removing redundant buttons. Tapping on the Preset Selector will toggle the Preset Browser visibility. On the iPhone, the lanes now extend to the edges of the device, utilising the screen fully. Finally, after a long discussion on the Audiobus Forum, Mela users have convinced me to add the Theme Designer feature.
Check out the latest video and changelog for the full details about this Mela update.
Artist Presets & Themes
There are dedicated pages for Artist Presets and Artist Themes. If you have created Mela 4 presets (whether paid or free) or a theme that you want to share with others let me know and I’ll happily link them there.
Mela 4 Changelog
DS Oscillator Module:
- This module is based on a distortion synthesis technique.
- You can morph the waveform between a square and a sawtooth using the Shape parameter.
- You can adjust the harmonic richness of the waveform using the Harmonics parameter.
- The module graph displays the waveform the oscillator is generating.
- Drag the graph horizontally to adjust the Shape parameter or vertically to adjust the Harmonics parameter.
- Double-tap the graph to reset the waveform to the default shape.
- In Mela 2-3, this oscillator was known as “Pitch Dist”, but the new module name describes the algorithm more accurately.
- The Pitch Processor module applies vibrato to the input Pitch signal.
- It’s driven by a sinusoid LFO which retriggers on every note-on event only if no other notes are held.
- The LFO’s rate can be tempo synced or set in hertz.
- The module can be inserted either on the Audio or Instrument lane.
Pitch Ratio Module:
- The Pitch Processor module modifies the input Pitch signal by multiplying it by a ratio of 2 integers. This is especially useful for ring and frequency modulation synthesis.
- The Ratio control displays the resulting ratio multiplier that’s applied to the input Pitch signal.
- The ratio is simplified by reducing the numerator and denominator to coprime numbers.
- Tapping on the control gives you the option to quickly set the ratio to one of the common musical intervals.
Pitch Bend Module:
- The Pitch Processor module transposes the input Pitch signal according to the Pitch Bend MIDI messages it receives.
- Its parameters allow you to set positive and negative transpositions to have different values.
- The module displays the current Pitch Bend value in semitones as well as provides visual indicators for the Pitch Wheel position.
MIDI Source Module:
- All MIDI CC messages are now supported by MIDI Source.
- The module now also supports Release Velocity.
- The Input parameter’s “Random” value was renamed to “Random on Note-on” to improve clarity.
- Added the Smoothing parameter, which is useful for smoothing out the discontinuities in the modulation signal generated from the incoming MIDI messages.
- Mela’s UI has been simplified by merging the sidebar functionality into the toolbar.
- Removed redundant buttons.
- Tapping on the Preset Selector will toggle the Preset Browser visibility.
- On the iPhone, the lanes now extend to the edges of the device, utilising the screen fully.
- Added the Theme Designer in the Settings.
- It allows you to customise Mela’s appearance.
- When the Theme field is set to “Custom” the Theme Designer becomes accessible.
- Use the Copy and Paste buttons to save and load custom themes.
- It’s a list of 5 colours in hex format in plain text and can be easily shared with other Mela users.
- You can view themes created by other artists by tapping on “Artist Themes”.
- Added “White” as one of the selectable themes.
- Mela now allows the host to query for a small number of the plug-in’s most important parameters. Mela defines these based on what the user has assigned to the Perform View. For example, Logic Pro for iPad will display the first 3 parameters of the Perform View.
- Changed FM Operator’s Intensity maximum value from 800% to 400%.
- Fixed a preset title text to be correctly truncated when it’s too long to fit properly.
- Fixed the Settings toolbar being truncated in Logic Pro for iPad.
- Updated the Getting Started document.
- Added presets that showcase new features.
To learn more about Mela, check out the Getting Started document, Changelog, FAQ or What’s New in Mela? YouTube playlist. To report bugs or make feature requests visit the Mela Feedback site. For other support queries directly get in touch.
Grab Mela 4 from the App Store.