The MIDI Manufacturer's Association (MMA) will host an open discussion about the trademark, licensing, and product certification options for the MMA's proposed new voluntary industry standard, code-named "HD Protocol" on Sunday, January 25. The session is part of the MMA's Annual General Membership (AGM) meeting during the NAMM show in Anaheim CA. […]
Developed by consensus of the MIDI experts in the MMA, some highlights of the proposed new protocol's many features and benefits include:
- Backward compatibility with MIDI 1.0 to ensure wide-spread adoption.
- Plug and Play network connectivity over USB and Ethernet for easy integration.
- Thousands of Channels for handling large complex systems.
- A massive number of high resolution Controllers and Parameters for channels, groups and even individual notes, for unrivaled precision and adaptability to new controller technologies.
- Precise Pitch Control and Articulation messages for expanded expressiveness.
- Time Stamped messaging for accurate timing and tight real-time performance.
- Plenty of room for future expansion to eliminate obsolescence.
After 30 years, are we finally going to see some improvements in MIDI?